.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

FreeAlberta

This father/son blog is dedicated to the furtherance of the independence movement in Alberta. It has been made abundantly clear that Alberta is the victim of tyranny by the majority. There is no indication that this will ever change. It is time to leave, to go our separate ways. In this blog I will focus on issues relating to Alberta Independence such as why it is necessary, what an independent Alberta might look like and how we can go about forging our independence.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Now What? Part II

Sullivan over at Rants From the Moderate Separatist has posted the very thoughts of many an Alberta Secessionist - myself included. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in the coming months. I'd personally like to see the Tories ally with the BQ in a rock-solid coalition whose undivided purpose is the devolution of federal power. I submit that this is Canada's only hope in surviving as a single nation. When you've got such a wide range of world views and opinions such as we have here in Canada, a centralised, one-size-fits-all law-making machine just does not work. A system like that creates the incredibly divisive, rabid and almost violent social atmosphere as everyone is fighting to have their particular view of the world imposed on everyone. The election was a pretty clear indication of how ugly this gets - and I'm betting that you ain't seen nothin' yet!
If we can dismantle this machine and let its powers be put back in the hands of the provinces, I think you'll see that Canadians can work together in a much more civilised fashion. Each province can enact the laws/policies that most suit the people of that province. That means the people of BC can enjoy the ec0-paradise they dream of and Alberta can be pro-Business and control our oil, and the Prairies can protect their towns and farms and Ontario can continue to feel they are better than us all without actually forcing their culture of entitlement on the colonies... er... other provinces... and Quebec can wave their fleur-de-lis and enact the pseudo-communist state they seem to think will be good for them (how they'll pay for it I have no idea), and Atlantic Canada can decide what to do with their natural resources all by themselves... and we'll all be a big happy family...
I believe that if Canada becomes a loose Confederation of provinces with a severly limited central government that ensures freedom of movement and trade between the provinces, we might have a chance to survive as a single nation. The Tories and the BQ could probably pull it off (if they even want to do anything like this) - but I wouldn't recommend holding your breath.

6 Comments:

At 1/31/2006 5:21 PM, Blogger Sycorax said...

I'll link this up!

 
At 2/01/2006 11:09 AM, Blogger Gayle said...

Sycorax said "I'll link this up!" And he did, too! That's where I found you.

This is an excellent post. I'm not a Canadian, I'm an American, but I wish Canada all the best, and I celebrated when Harper won the election. Canada and the United States need to be friends and allies as never before. Maybe there's more hope for that now!

Excellent post! :)

 
At 2/01/2006 11:22 AM, Blogger Sycorax said...

See? there ya go YW. keep posting!

 
At 2/01/2006 12:19 PM, Blogger younge whippersnapper said...

gayle, I really believe that Harper will work to repair the relationship between our countries! Whenever I have the opportunity to speak with an American, I always tell them that not all Canadians think of America the way the Liberals do! I have great respect for America's founding principles of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Thanks for checking out my blog!

 
At 2/01/2006 12:21 PM, Blogger younge whippersnapper said...

sycorax, thanks for the link and the encouragement! I'll be back more often from now on...

 
At 2/02/2006 9:14 AM, Blogger Sycorax said...

No sweat YW...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home